Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a HR Manager in Australia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the HR Manager Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In HR Manager Cover Letter
- HR Manager Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
HR Manager Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full HR Manager Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of HR Manager at XYZ company. Through my 14-year career, I’ve come to specialise in business partnering, organisational management and grievance handling, and have led a wide range of employee engagement projects. As a strategic-minded problem solver, I am highly familiar with organisational design and strategy, talent recruitment and selection, learning and development, and corporate social responsibility (CSR) programs. I’ve been able to leverage my experience to assess and anticipate an organisation’s HR related needs, as well as align employees’ performance and HR agenda with business objectives. As such, I am confident that I will continue to achieve better employee experiences for XYZ company. [Identify your best skills and focus areas that best fits the job requirements and include this in the overview of your experiences. Metrics help to establish context and scale for your work.]
- Presently, I am a Senior HR Manager with ABC Company, where I lead a team of 4 as the HR Business Partner for ABC’s regional operations and headquarters. In my current capacity, I oversee the full spectrum of human resources function, such as learning and development, benefits and compensation, employee relations, talent acquisition, and corporate social responsibility. [Regional HR roles require a good understanding of foreign markets and local labour laws. Be sure to emphasise this when applying for a regional role.]
- Amongst my various achievements during my career, I am most proud of establishing ABC’s regional CSR departments, overseeing an annual budget of USD$1.5M, and impacting millions of underprivileged. [Highlight your best achievements and include metrics where possible! For more senior HR Manager roles, showcase your ability to lead strategic HR initiatives that deliver impact on employees and within the organisation]
My background in human resource management, coupled with my practical experience in championing staff confidence development, will allow me to contribute effectively to XYZ company’s continued growth and performance, particularly by designing new human resource strategies that will allow the firm to thrive amidst the rapidly changing business climate we are facing today. [Focus again on your key skills as required by the job ad. Highlight relevant working experiences and that are directly relevant to the target job role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ company. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +61 12 1234 5678 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. [End off your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your enthusiasm in meeting your potential employer, and provide them ways you can be contacted.]
About the HR Manager Role
HR Manager is a relatively generic title that could encompass a wide variety of HR work scopes. Depending on the size of the organisation, a HR Manager may have overlapping responsibilities.
In smaller organisations, HR Managers may lead a team of HR staff that handles various aspects of HR management, including compensation and benefits, recruitment, training, and payroll.
In larger organisations, HR Managers may have clearly defined, separated roles in HR management, and typically lead a team of specialised HR staff.
Regardless of organisation size, a HR Manager’s role is extremely important in the operational aspect of any organisation. Great organisations understand the value of hiring great talent. It’s the HR managers who are responsible for bringing this kind of excellence to the organisation.
What Hiring Managers Look for in HR Manager Cover Letters
- Mention the size of the team you manage, as well as the team’s HR Management focus area(s) – e.g. Generalist, Compensation & Benefits, Recruitment, Talent Management, etc.
- Highlight the markets (local, regional or global) and number of employees you and your team support. This helps showcase the depth of your HR knowledge and familiarity with local and/or regional labour laws and legislations.
- Results from HR efforts can be difficult to quantify. If it is possible, include metrics that prove the success of your HR efforts. These may include employee engagement scores, employee participation numbers in HR initiatives, or reduction in employee attrition rates.
- Speak about HR initiatives that you have conceptualised, planned and led. As you climb the HR career ladder, you’ll be increasingly expected to set strategic direction, identify talent gaps in the organisation and effectively plan processes which give the company a competitive edge.
HR Manager Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.